The crawling of the spiders can scare many people. And if you are one of them, you probably want to get rid of the spiders. Although there are different methods to kill spiders, you may also try your wasp killer. But the question is, will wasp spray kill spiders?
Wasp spray will kill spiders if you spray directly on the spiders. If the spider is quite large, you may need to spray the wasp killer for longer, or else a few seconds is enough. Although some people say spiders can hold their breath against spray killers, that’s just a myth.
If you have wasp spray at home, you might want to use it to kill spiders. Let’s learn how to use wasp spray effectively against spiders, and we will also discuss how you can prevent spider infestation in your home.
Should You Kill Spiders?
Here at Go Repel, we do not like to mislead people. Should you kill spiders in your house?
The short answer to the question is no; you should not kill spiders in your home. That’s because most home spiders are harmless and good for the ecosystem. Although most spiders are poisonous, their venom is too weak to cause serious problems to humans.
However, home spiders like black widow or brown recluse can be dangerous when threatened. As per our recommendation, repelling the spiders is the best solution. Catch the spiders and throw them far from your house.
But if you are scared to catch spiders, you may try to eliminate them. You can use wasp spray on the spiders. But how? Let’s find out.
How will wasp spray kill spiders?
Pyrethrins, Pyrethroids, Deltamethrin, etc. chemicals are quite effective in killing spiders. If you check popular spider spray killers such as Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter, it uses Pyrethrins and Deltamethrin as key ingredients.
On the other hand, if you check wasp sprays such as Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer use Prallethrin, Cypermethrin, Pyrethroids, and other chemicals. Comparing both sprays, they are not exactly the same.
So, does wasp spray kill spiders? Although the key ingredients are different, chemicals in wasp sprays are also life-threatening to spiders. Besides, the wasp spray includes some other chemicals which can eliminate almost every insect.
How to use wasp spray to kill spiders?
If you have a spider in front of you, point the wasp directly towards it. Then spray directly on the spider for a few seconds before it crawls away. The spider won’t be able to survive such actions.
[Precaution: Before application, cover your face to avoid inhaling the poisonous spray. Also, ensure you do not spray on any clothes and foods.]
When the wasp spray will not kill spiders
Following are some situations that will not kill spiders using wasp spray:
- Too little spray: If you spray for only one second on the spider or it runs away instantly, the spray will not kill the spider. The spider may feel bad for a while but will be normal soon.
- Spraying on spider web: Many people spray on the web, thinking when the spider returns, it will be dead. But such actions won’t affect the spider.
- Spraying all over the house: Only direct spraying with wasp spray can kill the spiders. Spraying around the house won’t prevent spiders from crawling.
Answer to more questions you may have
Does wasp spray kill wolf spiders?
Wasp spray can kill wolf spiders if you directly spray on it for a few seconds. However, wolf spiders tend to be a little bigger than other house spiders. If it’s a large one, then the wasp spray may not kill the spider; instead, try to buy a spider killer.
Will wasp spray kill black widow spiders?
Wasp spray can easily kill black widow spiders if you apply it correctly. When you find a black widow spider, spray the wasp killer on it from one or two feet away. Spraying for a few seconds should be enough to kill the black widow spider.
Will hornet and wasp spray kill spiders?
Yes, hornet and wasp spray can kill most spiders. If you have a spider infestation in your house and have a hornet and wasp spray, you can use it to kill them. The spray is more effective for smaller species but should be able to eliminate most adult spiders.
Other Ways to Kill Spiders
Are the number of spiders growing in your home, and do you want to get rid of them? Then you probably want to know how to kill spiders in the house. The most effective way to kill spiders in the house is to use insecticides. You can buy one from a nearby shop or online.
There are various spider killers available in the market. You can try Wondercide – Indoor Pest Control Spray for Home and Kitchen. Directly spray it on spiders, and you will get rid of them.
However, if you have pets at home, you might not want to use anything that is toxic. In that case, you can check these pet-safe spider repellents that are pretty efficient.
When you see a spider suddenly in front of you, most probably you will try to smash it. But if it’s a female wolf spider, don’t do that. Squashing female wolf spiders can worsen the situation. That’s because they carry their young, and when you squash one, if the wolf spider is carrying babies, hundreds of spiderlings will be released into your house as soon as you squash the spider.
Tips to Prevent Spider Infestation
As most house spiders are, we do not recommend you kill them. Instead, we recommend you take the necessary steps to prevent spider infestation in your house.
Here’s how to get rid of spider infestation:
- Use peppermint oil: Spiders hate the smell of peppermint oil. You can use peppermint oil to repel spiders from your house and prevent infestation. Add a few drops of peppermint oil into a spray bottle and then spray it to areas you have noticed spider activities. If you do not have a spray bottle, you can drop the oil in different places too.
- Use vinegar solution: Vinegar solution is also a great natural insect repeller. Mix it with water in a 1:1 ratio and spray wherever you see spider infestation. If you directly spray the mixture on the spiders, it may even kill them.
- Eliminate spider webs: Removing spider webs from your house is another way to prevent spider infestation. You can use a vacuum cleaner to eliminate the webs. Try using BISSELL CleanView Swivel Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner. It’s a great product with a lot of positive feedback. Or you can remove the web manually.
- Set-up spider traps: You also can purchase Non Toxic Spider Traps and set them in your house to prevent spider infestation. These are mainly glued board sheets. Set them in different places of your house and when spiders get stuck on the traps, catch and throw them away from the house.
- Keep your home clean: When every corner of your house is neat and clean, the chance of spiders becomes less. Try to clean your house well regularly to keep the spiders away.
These were some of the effective ways you can try to prevent spider infestation in your house.
You asked, will wasp spray kill spiders? We have answered with detail and also provided some tips to prevent spider infestation. If you still have any questions, please let us know in the comment section. We will reach out to you with a solution ASAP to help you live in a house with zero spiders.